All business people today need to use social media to engage with their target audience.
The first step is to define your audience as precisely as possible. Once you have your audience and brand defined, you can take the next step, which is getting your message out to people.
By using social media sites, you can engage with your target in a number of ways.
- Customer Service. Many people now look at social media sites as ways to communicate about customer service. Never respond to negative comments publicly. Always private message the person, find out why they are unhappy and encourage them to change their comment.
- Brand recognition. By posting regularly (at least a few times a week) your brand is getting out to more people all the time.
- Top of mind. The more people see your posts, the more you are remembered. People don’t necessarily need your service/product right now but might later. Keep your business in front of as many people as possible so that when they need your services/products yours is the name that pops into their heads.
- User content. If followers are happy with a company, they may post it on their social sites and tag your business. This is one of the best forms of advertising you can get, and you don’t pay a penny for it. Therefore, it encourages your biggest supporters to post about you and to write reviews.
- Get their attention. Running contests, sharing discounts and reporting about work anniversaries or birthdays are good ways to get people to notice your posts.
- Encourage sharing. If you have useful information people may share it. As a result, not only are your followers seeing what you posted, but the followers of the person who shares will also see what you posted. (Pro tip: Use branded posts to make sure people know where they originated. In other words, put your logo on the image in your post.)
- Manage your reputation. Your posts can demonstrate how you are an expert in your field. When you give helpful tips, behind-the-scene looks or how-to posts people will understand you know your business well. Additionally, you will gain the reputation of being known as an expert in your field.
The bottom line is that when you engage people on social media platforms things will start to happen. When you post regularly, you will begin to see results in increased website visits and even sales.