Technology is constantly evolving and changing and as users of technology, we need to adapt and learn in order to stay on top of things. Open AI’s ChatGPT is one of the hottest applications of AI (artificial intelligence) to be released.
What is ChatGPT? It’s a virtual research and writing assistant that is free for anyone to use.
Unfortunately, every time someone creates something for good, people find ways to use it for things that are not so good. This is true with ChatGPT. This AI software can also write code, which is where much of the danger lies.
- The software can act as a search engine. It can also answer questions with accuracy. Siri and Alexa can do the same thing, but ChatGPT is better at copying realistic conversations. It’s difficult to tell if a person wrote the answers or if AI did. It can also summarize long pieces of text like Cliff Notes never could.
- As a writer, ChatGPT can be a real time saver. It can write stories. If you already have something written, it can edit what you already wrote.
- ChatGPT can be an incredible time saver for composing business emails, boilerplate content, formal business letters, and more, provided users proofread carefully for mistakes.
- Not sure how beautiful it sounds, but the program can write its own music.
- This AI software can even solve complicated math problems.
- It can find mistakes in code and programs that are already written or write code for you.
- As newer versions are released, it builds on what it already knows. It remembers what the user says and can reference it later.
- This software can be invaluable in the field of cybersecurity. When companies are alerted to a possible cyber attack, ChatGPT can help figure out if the threat is real or not.
- Microsoft invested $10 million in this application, so you can be sure it will integrate the software into some of its programs in the future
- ChatGPT can create malware and ransomware, which is a major threat to businesses and individuals. It can write code that can get around traditional security defenses.
- Some industry professionals believe that the software may end up eliminating jobs because of its ability to write content and code.
- The software can be used for phishing, a cybercrime that can mislead and confuse people into giving away their personal info through realistic-looking emails, calls or texts. While people become suspicious of an email when reading it because the English is incorrect, ChatGPT can make the text sound more legitimate.
- It doesn’t offer references when it gives information and can often be misleading, biased or even incorrect depending upon where it gets the information. ChatGPT may end up in court at some point because it often references copyrighted materials without giving credit to the source.
- The software is a bit outdated for news and current events.
- Teachers complain that it can be used to cheat in school, (but so can any search engine or AI app).
- Most AI has problems with idioms and can’t convey feelings. This isn’t just a problem with ChatGPT, but with any AI software.
Be careful when using this powerful program or any other chatbot. There are some AI software companies, like copy.ai that actually do offer citations showing where they got the information. This is emerging technology that will improve in its sophistication with time. Investigate it on your own and see how it can make work a little easier for you.